There were times when the storage was a big problem. The external drives used to come in very small storage. Then came the time when external drives started coming with huge storage capacity. But humans are always looking for something better. Time changed, technology progressed and now we have cloud storage available. Most of us rely on cloud storage to keep our important data safe.
Benefits of Cloud Storage
Cloud storage saves you from the hassle of keeping external storage. It is also a safer platform as external storage can get corrupted losing all your data. Cloud storage has the benefit that you always have access to it. If you have the internet you can access your files anywhere in the world and you do not have to worry about forgetting external storage somewhere.
It is a storage platform that is available by Microsoft. It comes built-in in the Microsoft devices. You can download it on your other devices too. It gives you 5 GB of free storage. To get more storage you have to sign up for payment plans. OneDrive is a very famous and heavily used cloud storage. You can simply turn on the sync on your device and all your data will be stored in the OneDrive. It works mostly with the internet. You need to set up your phone to make files dave in the OneDrive. OneDrive is very compatible with android devices too.
Free Alternatives to OneDrive
OneDrive is a very reliable platform to save your data on the cloud but the free storage available is only 5 GB. It can work in some cases but a lot of the time the required data storage is a lot more than available on OneDrive. Here are the free alternatives that you can use instead of OneDrive.
Google Drive is one of the best free alternatives of OneDrive. Almost every one of us has a google account. With a google account, you get free access to Google Drive. The amount of free storage is also incredibly high from OneDrive. You can save 15 GB of data for free in your Google Drive. This is a great storage capacity for any kind of use. Your low-quality photos can be saved in unlimited amounts and they would not be considered in the 15 GB storage. So that leaves main storage with good quality data and yet you can save very old data for free without consideration.
Here are some pros and cons of Google Drive that can help you decide if you want to use Google Drive or not.
- You can move the files inside the drive without any external interference.
- Google Drive gives you the option to edit the document too.
- It can be connected with other drive apps.
- You can save files directly from your mail to Google Drive.
- Download and upload of files can be slow occasionally
- The interface is a little messy and it is hard to keep data organized.
This cloud storage is available on multiple devices. It is most popular among internet users. You can use this cloud to save photos, videos, and all other kinds of files. The process of uploading and downloading is also very fast in DropBox. It provides you with 2 GB of free storage.
Here are some pros and cons of using DropBox as your cloud service.
- It is compatible with most operating systems used in the world.
- It can work with other cloud apps.
- You can access your data anytime you want.
- It has an easy-to-use interface and you can easily find your data.
- You can give access to certain files by sharing them with someone.
- DropBox has had some issues with security and people still do not feel secure while uploading sensitive data.
- Editing files inside the DropBox is not a smooth experience.
The box is a cloud storage system very similar to DropBox. You can save your files in it and share from it directly. Box gives you free storage of 10 GB. it is an ample amount of storage for most of your important file storage.
Here are a few pros and cons of Box cloud storage.
- It is very easy to use cloud
- You can use a lot of formats to open the files without downloading them, for example, PDF, Excel, and Word.
- It has compatibility with 1400 other apps.
- The use of desktop and mobile is extremely easy.
- Setting up a profile is a little harder than other similar clouds.
- You can not upload a file bigger than 250 MBs
- The ability to edit the files in the cloud is very limited.
Zoho docs is a little less known cloud platform but have very good services. You can easily use this platform for free storage. It gives you 5 GB of free storage. It is available for desktop and mobile devices. You can share your Zoho Doc account with up to 25 people at a time.
Here are some good and bad aspects of Zoho Docs.
- You can edit the documents in the Zoho docs.
- It gives you access to the edit history
- You can control the access to your account and data
- You can see a lot of files without downloading them to your device
- The overall interface of the cloud is a little slow in responsiveness.
- To share Zoho docs with the nonusers you need to convert the files in the mainstream file formats.
All of these cloud storage can be good alternatives to OneDrive. They provide enough free storage to their users. Some are more compatible than others. For example, Google Drive is very popular and secure to use. You can find so many common users to share the files. Zoho Docs is the least popular and you would not find many users of it, hence making it hard to share data with others. But all the clouds are perfect to save your data and access it anywhere you want.